How to Hire In-Home Care for a Family Member
When someone from your family requires in-home care on a permanent basis, there might come a time when you will require outside help. This is an important decision that will change your daily routine and the lives of your loved ones. We can help you to reduce the stress while hiring home caregivers and make the right choice.
The Types of Help You Can Get
When you hire a helper for in-home care, you can usually choose from various services. In general, they are divided into skilled medical nursing assistance and personal care help. The last one usually involves such help as:
- Hygiene assistance with bathing, dressing, toileting, eating and so on.
- Companion service with visiting, communicating and supervision.
- Homemaker service which usually includes cooking, housekeeping, shopping, and cleaning.
- Home health aides with monitoring the daily condition of the patient plus general help.
- Respite care which gives periodic help for permanent family caregivers.
All the types of help listed above can be combined and adjusted to your needs. For example, a home health aide job description will most likely also deal with hygiene assistance and companion services.
3 Steps to Hiring In-Home Care
Caregiver hiring is a challenging process, so we will give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it effectively.
Create a list of all your needs and how you want them to be accomplished. Here you should include the doctors’ recommendations, your wishes and everything concerning future cooperation. State the necessary types of help clearly.
Think of who you want to hire. Home care jobs can be conducted by a friend, register (local individual) or a home care company. Look for recommendations, ask friends and relatives, and read reviews. After doing this, make a list of companies/individuals that are the best fit for you.
When you have a list of candidates to choose from, call them to make sure they meet your needs. After that, compile any questions you have and interview the chosen caregivers in person. It would be great if you can include the future care receiver or a third party to discuss their impression later. Choose the candidate that suits you the most and is appealing to work with.
Key Characteristics of an Excellent Caregiver
Whether you hire a helper from an agency or an individual worker, it is always important to note that a caregiver should possess these characteristics:
- Competence - The caregiver must have an appropriate educational background and training. Ask the person for certificates or other papers that prove it. It is good when the company also trains its employees.
- Experience - Make sure that the chosen caregiver has experience in all the services you need. This can be proved by corresponding references.
- Compassion - Empathy is a crucial factor in establishing a good and pleasant long-term relationship with the patient. Ensure that the personalities of the caregiver and your family member suit each other.
- Communication - The caregiver must be calm yet confident. All problems must be solved efficiently.
Hiring Home Caregivers from Buffalo Home Care
Buffalo Home Care is an expert in home care, so you can have peace of mind when hiring a caregiver from us. We are happy to provide various services:
- Senior care
- Care for disabled people
- Home health aide
- Recovery and rehabilitation services
- Respite care
Our clients appreciate our main benefits, which are:
- Professionally trained caregivers
- Detailed development of care plans
- An accurate selection process
- 24/7 communication
We are ready to answer all your questions and select the best caregiver for your needs.